2015年6月3日 星期三

0395_down in the dumps

0395 Daily Easy English Expression PODCAST—down in the dumps
中譯/中文意思: 沮喪
Dialog at: 2:12 and 3:56

A: Shane’s really down in the dumps.
B: Why?
A: He got yelled at by his mom.
B: What for?
A: He forgot to help her clean on Saturday.



Dictation:

Hello, everybody,

My name is Coach Shane, and welcome to Easy English Expressions. You and me everyday. Come on. Let’s master English.

Hello, everybody. Welcome back to Daily Easy English expression. It’s Monday. It’s Monday of some of you. It’s June 1st. Happy June everybody. Today’s expression is “down in the dumps”. I am down in the dumps. I am feeling down in the dumps. If you are down in the dumps, that means you are very sad. You are very depressed. Yep. I hope that you are not down in the dumps. It happens to everybody, certainly does. Why does “down in the dumps” mean sad? Why does it mean depressed? Well, yesterday, we study the word “dump”, the dump. And where is the dump? It’s the place where the city throws away the garbage. Would you like to be in the dump all day? Would you like to live in the dump? No, it’s a terrible place. It’s smelly, oh my god! And you know, actually, some countries, maybe in many countries, people do actually live in the dump or right next to the dump. Oh, it’s so sad. It’s so depressed. Really is. And that’s why this expression “down in the dumps” means sad or depressing, because anybody who is in the dump would surely be sad. Let’s check out the dialog:

A: Shane’s really down in the dumps.
B: Why?
A: He got yelled at by his mom.
B: What for?
A: He forgot to help her clean on Saturday.


I am an old guy and still my mother yells at me. That she does makes me feel like a little child, makes me feel really sad, depressed, down in the dumps. No, that’s not true. My mom doesn’t yell at me. My mom loves me. My mom respects me. My mom needs my help, I think, sometimes she never asks me for help. And I am tough. Show me no help. But mom if you’re listening to the podcast, if you need anything, if you need help doing something, maybe some cleaning, just let me know. And absolutely I will go and help you, okay? Don’t worry about that, mom. Still live very closely to me, so as long as where close together, I will be there to help you out. And mom, don’t worry. If you yell at me, I won’t be down in the dumps. My students yell at me: “Shane, what’s wrong? Where is the podcast?” Then I would definitely be down in the dumps. It’s a sad expression, everybody. Can you think the last time you were down in the dumps? I hope it’s a long time ago and I hope you’re not down in the dumps anytime soon. Have a fantastic week, everybody. And together, let’s master English. 

沒有留言:

張貼留言