2015年6月1日 星期一

0392_to rub someone's nose in it

0392 Daily Easy English Expression PODCAST—to rub someone's nose in it
中譯/中文意思: 在某人傷口灑鹽/洗某人的臉
Dialog at: 4:09 and 6:17

A: I heard Eric broke up with you.
B: Yeah.
A: I heard he has a new girlfriend.
B: Uh-huh.
A: I heard she’s really rich.
B: Quit rubbing my nose in it!




Dictation: 

Hello, everybody,

My name is Coach Shane, and welcome to Easy English Expressions. You and me everyday. Come on. Let’s master English.

Hello, everybody. Welcome back to Daily Easy English expression. Today’s expression, oh, boy, it’s a good one. “To rub R-U-B someone’s nose in it”. To rub his nose in it. To rub her nose in it. What does this expression mean? Well, rub means, you know, to to basically touch touch with your fingers to rub. But, this is a history of this expression. Have you ever had a dog or maybe a cat? And you are, it’s a puppy it’s a baby and you’re training the dog, especially a dog, you’re training the dog not to pee or poo in the house. If the dog wants to bathroom, you want the dog to go outside. So, how do you do that? Well, unfortunately, the dog needs to pee inside and then you need to show the dog: “nonononono, this is not where you pee, you have to go outside to pee”. And after several attempts usually, the dog will learn. But, the key is when you’re teaching the dog, you actually need to take the dog, you have to hold the dog’s head. And you have to make the dog see and smell the mistake.

Do you understand? So if it’s pee, you gotta hold your dog’s face by dog’s pee and poo the same thing. And this is the idea of rubbing the dog’s face in the pee or the poo. You don’t actually have to put the dog’s face into the pee or the poo, of course, it’s disgusting. But, this is the idea. And how does the dog feel? Is the dog happy that it’s face in pee or poo? Of course not, it hates it. It’s embarrassing. But, It does learn that it made a mistake.

And so we use this expression with people, too. “to rub someone’s face in it” means to show somebody that they made an embarrassing mistake, they did something stupid. So for example, let’s say: you and I are going to take a history test and I told you: “You’d better study. This history test is important.” But you didn’t study much, and you got a low grade. But I got a really high grade, I got a great grade. And I after I get my exam, I said: “Hahaha, see. I studied and I show you my exam.” Do you like that? Do you like to see my exam?” Of course not. I am rubbing your nose in my exam. I am forcing you to see you made a mistake. It’s a good expression. It’s not a nice expression if it happens to you. But it is a useful expression.

Let’s check out the dialog:
A: I heard Eric broke up with you.
B: Yeah.
A: I heard he has a new girlfriend.
B: Uh-huh.
A: I heard she’s really rich.
B: Quit rubbing my nose in it!

What does that guy so mean? You can hear that the woman is broken-hearted. She broke up with her boyfriend but he had a new girlfriend and she is very rich. The guy is making it very painful for the woman. He’s not been very nice. He’s rubbing her nose in the break up, in her pain, in her sadness. You know. Don’t rub someone’s nose in something. It’s not nice. It happens, you know, people might do it to you. But if people know they make a mistake, that’s enough. I tell you, though, if somebody doesn’t realize that they made a mistake, grasp their head and push it into the mistake. Rub their nose in it. Did you got it? Once again, it’s a great expression and it comes from teaching dogs not to pee and poo in the house. It refers to the shit, the dirty stuff. I hope you understand. So you know I made lots of videos and lots of podcasts and teached English. And you know sometimes I do make mistakes with my words with my sentences. Please, everybody, don’t rub my nose in it. I am sure that I made mistakes, you don’t need to rub my nose in it, okay? That’s today’s expression. Practice two more times. Please practice with friends and together let’s master English.

沒有留言:

張貼留言